“And He said to them, ‘Why is it that you were searching for Me? Did you not know that I had to be in My Father’s house?”Luke 2:49 (LSB)
We have one story about Jesus’ childhood. From an early age, Jesus knew that He was compelled to be about His Father’s business.
Jesus was like no other child.
- A child who didn’t rebel. A sinless little boy.
- A boy who was hungry to know more about the Father.
- A boy who always obeyed.
- A boy who was driven by His calling.
- A boy who grew strong and wise.
- A boy who enjoyed everyone’s favor.
- A boy with God’s favor flowing from His words and actions.
When Jesus was 12 years old, He traveled with Mary and Joseph to Jerusalem for the Feast of the Passover. After the Feast, Mary and Joseph began their journey back to Nazareth. They thought Jesus was with the group of travelers.
But He wasn’t with them.
Mary and Joseph returned to Jerusalem, and after three days, they found Him in the temple listening and asking questions of the teachers. All were astounded by His wisdom.
“Did you not know that I had to be in My Father’s house?”
Even at the age of 12, Jesus understood that He had a calling from God, His Father.
“Christ had a special work. ‘The spirit of the Lord is upon me, the Lord hath anointed me to preach glad tidings to the poor.’ And he felt the effects of this anointing—the power of this impelling. …. ‘I must,’ said he, ‘be about my Father’s business.’”C. H. Spurgeon, “Christ About His Father’s Business“
In His Father’s house asking the rabbis questions and answering them. About His Father’s business.
At the age when boys began to learn their fathers’ trade, Jesus was found in His heavenly Father’s house about His Father’s business.
Mary and Joseph did not understand and took Him home to Nazareth. Jesus obeyed His parents and learned Joseph’s business, carpentry.
Can you see Mary and Joseph beaming as they watched Jesus grow in wisdom and maturity? They must have marveled as they observed the favor of God and all people resting upon Jesus.
“And His mother treasured up all these things in her heart.”Luke 2:51b (ESV)
- Read Luke 2:41-52. What does the Scripture reveal about Jesus? What does the Scripture reveal about Mary?
- Jesus understood the work that God had given Him to accomplish. What is the work that God has given you?
- How does this devotion influence how you prepare for Christmas?
What has your heavenly Father called you to do?
Behold Our Savior … 31 Reflections
Featured Photo: Jan Steen, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons
One response to “About His Father’s Business”
[…] About His Father’s Business — Let’s Walk Together in God’s Promises […]