“Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful.” Hebrews 10:23
Have you been to a rodeo? Did you clinch your teeth and tighten your back when the horse threw the cowboy?
Maybe you haven’t been on a bucking or run-away horse, but your circumstances feel like it. Sometimes you just want to give up and retreat to your bed. I’ve been there. Maybe your health is less than what you want, or your finances are a mess. Maybe your family isn’t getting along. Whatever it is, you’re holding on for dear life.
Did you know that we have promises from God that the battle is His? 1 Samuel 17:47 Even in a fallen world when sometimes bad things happen to good people, we have the promises from God that ultimately, all will work together for good to them who are called according to His purpose.
We can confidently expect the promise of eternal life, the promise of God’s Sabbath rest mentioned in Hebrews 4. God is Faithful, and He is true and just.
How to Hold Fast
- Cleave. We must cleave to the Lord. It’s like being joined with God as a husband and wife who are committed to each other for a lifetime are joined together as one. “You shall walk after the LORD your God and fear Him, and keep His commandments and obey His voice; you shall serve Him and hold fast to Him.” Deuteronomy 13:4
- Secure, possess. We must consider the Word of God our valued possession as we meditate on it day and night. “Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received and in which you stand, by which also you are saved, if you hold fast that word which I preached to you.” 1 Corinthians 15:1-2
- Retain. Against all forces, we must retain a firm grip on the hope that Jesus has given us with confidence and rejoicing. We are the household of Jesus if “we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm to the end.” Hebrews 3:6
- Master. With power, we must become master of our confession of hope in Jesus’ promise. “Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession.” Hebrews 4:14
- Possess. The promises that we have are treasures that we must not allow to be taken by anyone or anything. We must possess them at any cost. We must be strong. “But hold fast what you have till I come.” Revelation 2:25 “Behold, I am coming quickly! Hold fast what you have, that no one may take your crown.” Revelation 3:11
JESUS who promised is faithful. Jesus is the Faithful One. He is the One Who gave the Promise. 2 Timothy 2:11-13
So Hold Fast
Lord, God Almighty, thank You for all that You are and all that You are doing in our lives. Empower us to hold fast to You, Your Word, Your precepts, and Your love. We love You, Lord, and hold fast to You.
Has Jesus been faithful in your life? Whether they are “little” or “big” things, please share what God has done in your life.
2 responses to “How to Hold Fast to Hope”
Thanaks you, Karen, for your words of encouragement. I have learned that I can hold fast because He holds fast to me. The Lord is so faithful to His promises.
Pastor Chris, Thank you for that deep insight. Our fingers slip as we’re trying to hold on, but God is so faithful. What a great reminder that only with God is it possible to hold fast. May your mission in Peru be blessed and joyous. Much love, Karen