Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion!
Shout aloud, O daughter of Jerusalem!
Behold, your king is coming to you;
righteous and having salvation is he,
humble and mounted on a donkey,
on a colt, the foal of a donkey. Zechariah 9:9
Five days before the Passover, our Messiah rode down the Mount of Olives as He lived His life on earth, the embodiment of the Beatitudes:
- Heir of the Kingdom of Heaven
- Comforter, Teacher, and Healer
- Meek Ruler of the earth
- God Incarnate
- The only begotten Son of God
- Persecuted for righteousness’ sake
The people expected Jesus to establish His kingdom.
So they took branches of palm trees and went out to meet him, crying out, “Hosanna! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord, even the King of Israel!” John 12:13
What was Jesus thinking?
- Was He smiling at the acknowledgment of His divinity? John 1:1
- Was He looking with compassion upon the people as He looked upon blind Bartimaeus on the way to Jerusalem?
- Was He thinking of the Passover lambs in the house for four days as He would be examined by the religious leaders? Exodus 12:3-6
- Was He thinking of His Last Supper with His disciples? Luke 22:15-30
- Was He thinking of the agony of the beatings? The shame of the cross? The Father turning away? Matthew 27:46
- Was He thinking of the joy of the resurrection? Luke 24:34
- Was He thinking of the final triumph over evil?
And on His robe and on His thigh He has a name written, “KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS. Revelation 19:16
Please share in the comment section what Palm Sunday means to you.
Jesus, our true King, thank You for riding into Jerusalem as our Prince of Peace, ready to purchase our salvation with Your blood. Oh, how it cost You everything! Thank You for Your great love. Impress upon us the great cost of our salvation. We praise You and adore You. Thank You for clothing us in Your righteousness. In Your precious and holy name, Amen.