- Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.” Luke 23:34
In His beaten, scourged, punched, spit upon, shamed body, Jesus prayed for His enemies.
- Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.” Luke 23:43
Between two thieves, Jesus promised eternal life to the one who asked to be remembered.
- When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to her,
“Woman, here is your son,” and to the disciple, “Here is your mother.” John 19:26-27
Hanging from the cross, Jesus made sure that His mother would be taken care of after He died.
- From noon until three in the afternoon darkness came over all the land. About three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” (which means “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”). Matthew 27:45-46
His Father is holy and cannot look upon sin. Jesus became my sin, your sin, sins of the past, sins of the present, and sins of the future, and God turned His gaze away from Jesus.
- Jesus said, “I am thirsty.” John 19:28
In all His humanity, Jesus became thirsty. He taught that all who came to Him would thirst no more, for He has living water.
- When he had received the drink, Jesus said, “It is finished.” John 19:30
Hanging on the cross, Jesus paid the price for my sin and your sin – death. His work was done. The price had been paid.
- “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.” Luke 23:46
Jesus dismissed His spirit and died. The perfect sacrifice that paid the price of sin, death, – the Lamb of God.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believes on Him shall not perish but have eternal life.
This eternal life is for you if you accept it.
Today is commonly referred to as Good Friday. Good, because the body of Jesus was broken for you and for me, and the blood of Jesus washed our sins away, if we just accept this free gift of God.