Jesus is the Holy One of God, and He calls His followers His friends, Luke 4:34, John 15:14.
Jesus takes the unholy and makes it holy. Jesus takes His followers, His friends, and cleanses them, making them righteous, justified, and holy.
The friend of the Holy One of God rests in Him.Tweet
God told His people to be holy because He is holy, Leviticus 11:45.
How is this possible? Only through Jesus.
5 Reasons to Rest in Jesus
“But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, although the Law and the Prophets bear witness to it – the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction: for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God’s righteousness because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins. It was to show his righteousness at the present time so that he might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.” Romans 3:21-26 (emphasis added)
- God’s righteousness is made known to all who believe in Jesus, Romans 3:21-22. Righteous people follow God’s divine Law. Only Jesus could keep all the Law.
- We’re sinners and can’t be righteous on our own, Romans 3:23. We have broken God’s Law. Jesus is the only way, for He is truth and life, John 14:6.
- Grace justifies us through Jesus’ payment for our sins, Romans 3:24. When we accept Jesus as our Savior, we can stand before God just as if we had never sinned. Jesus bought our justification with His blood.
- Jesus’ blood serves as the propitiation for our sins, a substitute sacrifice, Romans 3:25. In a sense, Jesus sprinkled His blood upon the mercy seat resting upon the Ark of the Covenant, Leviticus 16:14. Graciously, God passed over the sins of those Old Testament saints who were looking forward to the coming Messiah.
- Righteousness was demonstrated by the Holy One who is just and justifies us when we have faith in Jesus, Romans 3:26. Because of Jesus, we are justified and holy to the Lord.
Holy Father, we are humbled by Your love. We have sinned against You, and yet, You call us to be holy as You are holy. We can’t be holy on our own, but You made the way. You gave Your Holy Son to pay the price of our sins, so that we could be Your holy people, so that we could stand before You fully clothed in the righteousness of Jesus. Holy, Holy, Holy, are You, Lord, God Almighty. We bow before You and praise Your name. Amen.