My grandmother, fondly called Momo, was one of my spiritual mentors. She loved the Lord dearly and loved her Bible. When she died, my mother gave me her Bible.
I pulled her Bible out this morning and read what she had written in the front and back of her Bible. There were quotes from commentaries, notes on books she needed to read, and verses that she wanted to remember.
These are the verses that were important for her to record in her handwriting in her Bible.
Front pages of Momo’s Bible
- “Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.” Luke 12:32 After it, she wrote, “Beautiful” This was also in the back of her Bible.
- Psalm 91 – just the annotation, also in the back of her Bible.
- Psalm 121 – just the annotation, also in the back of her Bible.
- “I have been young, and now am old; yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken or his children begging bread.” Psalm 37:25
- “He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?” Micah 6:8
- “They are planted in the house of the LORD, they flourish in the courts of our God. They still bring forth fruit in old age, they are ever full of sap and green,” Psalm 92:13-14
- “Thou hast wrapped thyself with a cloud so that no prayer can pass through.” Lamentations 3:44, After the preface. I wonder what she was feeling when she wrote this verse. Was she feeling that her prayers were not reaching God?
Back pages of Momo’s Bible
- “But, as it is written, ‘What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man conceived, what God has prepared for those who love him,’” 1 Corinthians 2:9
- Romans 1:18-32 – just the annotation. A reminder of the wrath of God, His power and divine nature as compared to the depravity of man.
- Psalm 91 – just the annotation, also in the front of her Bible.
- Psalm 121 – just the annotation, also in the front of her Bible.
Although we had our Bibles out many times, she never shared with me why she wrote these verses in her Bible.
Have you shared the verses that mean so much to you with others?
Although all verses in the Bible are special, there are some favorites that I go back to. I’ll be sharing those in a later post.
Please share your special verses in the Comment Section and
tell us why they are important to you.
Father of Lights, You have shed Your great light upon Your children, lighting the way for us to find great treasures in Your Word. Thank You for these jewels and enabling us to pick them up, turn them upside down, around, and back up to delight in the beauty of each facet. Your Word is the treasure chest of wisdom. Empower us to discover the truths and beauty that only You can reveal to us, and then prompt us to share these truths with others. In Jesus’ name, Amen.