“Let the earth bring forth living creatures after their kind: cattle and creeping things and beasts of the earth after their kind”; and it was so. God made the beasts of the earth after their kind, and the cattle after their kind, and everything that creeps on the ground after its kind; and God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:24-25
I had the privilege of watching five caterpillars over three days. I spotted them eating my flowers. I have many flowers in my yard and take great pride in them. Yet, I was glad to share a few flowers with these beautiful creatures. In turn, they let me capture their amazing movements on camera. Every morning, I talked with them; I know, one-sided conversations can be perceived as silly. I enjoyed our early morning conversations, though. When I came home in the evening, they’d be fatter and longer, but oh, so graceful and beautiful.
This morning, one was still munching flowers, but a few hours later, he was not to be seen.
I looked deep in the bed of the plant to see if I could see cocoons, but I was unable to find them. I’m hoping that in a few weeks, I’ll see colorful butterflies flying around the flowers.
Four transformations in a butterfly’s life
Did you know that there were four transformations in the butterfly’s life?
- Egg. The butterfly lays tiny eggs on leaves.
- Caterpillar. The egg hatches, and the caterpillar eats the leaf. My caterpillars graduated to eating flowers.
- Chrysalis. The caterpillar spins a web-like chrysalis around its body and rests, as it transforms into a butterfly.
- Butterfly. Slowly, a butterfly emerges from the chrysalis. It rests for awhile, and then, it flies away.
Four transformations in a Christian’s walk
You might say that Christians have four transformations in their Christian walk.
- New creation. Once a person accepts Jesus as His Savior, he dies to himself and lives to Christ, Galatians 2:20. He becomes a new creation in Jesus, 1 Corinthians 5:17.
- Baby in Christ. As new Christians, we long for the milk of the pure Word of God, 1 Peter 2:2.
- Mature in Christ. As we feed on the Word of God and trust in the Holy Spirit’s guidance, we practice what we learn, and we are able to discern good and evil. Hebrews 5:14
- Like God. One day, we shall see God as He is, and we will be like Him, in all His beauty, holiness, and glory, 1 John 3:2.
I’m looking forward to spending eternity exploring the tiny marvels and great works of art that God has created. He is such an artist!
In the meantime, I’ll watch for the butterflies, hummingbirds, occasional eagle, and doves.
Father, Your creation delights me. Thank You, for the beautiful creatures, fragrant flowers, and varieties of landscapes, waters, and heavens. There is beauty all around me just waiting to be discovered. Help me to see Your world through Your eyes. Help me to listen to Your world through Your ears. Help me to understand and share Your world with others. I praise You and delight in You. Amen.
Please share in the comments section the small and great wonders you are delighting in.