Ein Geddi in Israel
Ho! Every one who thirsts, come to the waters;
And you who have no money come, buy and eat.
Come, buy wine and milk
Without money and without cost.
“Why do you spend money for what is not bread,
And your wages for what does not satisfy?
Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good,
And delight yourself in abundance.
“Incline your ear and come to Me.
Listen, that you may live;
And I will make an everlasting covenant with you,
According to the faithful mercies shown to David. Isaiah 55:1-3
Every week, Keith and I go to the grocery store and spend hard-earned money on food. We eat a meal, and a few hours later, we’re hungry again. The next week, we repeat the trip to the store.
We fill our tanks with gas. We purchase clothes that represent our professions. We put on the lifestyle that our families, friends, neighbors and coworkers expect of us.
We show our happy lives on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Some of us even blog about it.
Does anyone post a photo on Facebook that shows our sinful nature? What about our unhappy times? I tend to post things that demonstrate that I have it all together.
What if God provided all that we need to be satisfied, or as our Italian landlord once said, “Molto content”?
God has provided more than satisfaction. He has provided a promise to wipe away all our sins. The promise includes living with Him forever. The promise includes an abundant life now. The promise includes satisfaction.
This promise is a free gift, but there is a cost: you must step out in authenticity.
5 Steps to Authentic Satisfaction
- Come. God beckons us to come to Him in our hunger and thirst. We can only come to the Father through Jesus and His sacrifice on the cross. “Jesus said, ‘I am the way, the truth and the life; no one comes to the Father but through me.’” John 14:6
- Buy. We have nothing to offer Him except our broken lives. He takes those lives and nourishes them with Living Water and the Bread of Life, Jesus. “The Spirit and the bride say, ‘Come.’ And let the one who hears say, ‘Come.’ And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who wishes take the water of life without cost.” Revelation 22:17
- Listen. We are commanded to listen attentively to Him, to listen with the intention of acting and obeying Him “Then a voice came out of the cloud, saying, ‘This is My Son, My Chosen One; listen to Him!’” Luke 9:35
- Eat. As we read God’s Word and abide in Jesus, we are nourished by the Bread of Life and the Living Water. “Jesus said to them, ‘I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me will not hunger, and he who believes in Me will never thirst.’” John 6:35
- Delight. When I take pleasure in the things of God, He will give me the desires of my heart. This verse can also be read that God gives me the desires that conform to His will. Either way, I delight in that! “Delight yourself in the Lord; And He will give you the desires of your heart.” Psalm 37:4
3 Steps to Authentic Restoration
Seek the Lord while He may be found;
Call upon Him while He is near.
Let the wicked forsake his way
And the unrighteous man his thoughts;
And let him return to the Lord,
And He will have compassion on him,
And to our God,
For He will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6-7
In our hunger, we seek satisfaction; we come; we seek God; we call upon Him; we buy with our brokenness, and we listen. He tells us our next steps:
- Forsake your way. Remember that you are a new creation in Jesus, turn from the inauthentic life, and do the things you did when you were a new Christian. Did you fellowship with other believers, study the Bible, and pray? Do it again. “Therefore remember from where you have fallen, and repent and do the deeds you did at first; or else I am coming to you and will remove your lampstand out of its place—unless you repent.” Revelation 2:5
- Forsake your thoughts. Take your thoughts captive. Meditate on the Bread of Life and His words. “Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.” Philippians 4:8
- Return. Return to Jesus. He has paid the price of your sins, my sins, and the world’s sins. In Him, we can rest. “Return to your rest, O my soul, For the Lord has dealt bountifully with you.“ Psalm 116:7
Abundant spiritual provision and abundant pardon.
That is the way of a satisfied life, an all-together life.
That is the way of the authentic Christian life.
Father, You have provided all that we need or could ever want. You have given us the desires of our hearts. You know us better than we know ourselves. Search our ways and our thoughts, renew our minds and transform our ways to Your ways, our thoughts to be more like Your thoughts. We hunger and thirst for the Bread of Life, the Living Water. We long for more awareness of Jesus living in us and the freedom that this knowledge brings us. You have dealt bountifully with us. We come to You. Lead us by the right hand in an authentic walk with You and with our brothers and sisters. Amen
Please share the steps you are taking to ensure your walk with Jesus is authentic.
6 responses to “Abundance in the Authentic Christian Walk”
A friend has been helping me clean my house. The very next morning right before I woke up I had a dream. Over the years I have had a few dreams about spiders and they were very large and scary. They usually seemed to represent something evil. But in this dream they were tiny black widows. I was trying to use a brush to put them in a dust pan to kill and throw them outside. I wasn’t fearful but was anxious to be rid of them and wanted to get them all before they could run away. At the end of the dream I was putting them in a bowl of water. When I woke up I didn’t feel fearful.
If a dream seems to have meaning I usually will keep thinking about it and asking God what it means. I always knew the spider represented evil in my life. After going further in my sanctification process I came to the realization after this dream that the spiders were sin in my own life that God wanted me to overcome and banish from my life. So now that the spiders were tiny I realized that He wants me to work on things that might seem to be harmless or just not that important. But any sin in my life is something that God wants me to get rid of.
So I prayed and asked God reveal those things to me and give me the strength to do what it takes to get them out of my life. Of course I can’t do it in my own strength but His strength.
Immediately I thought of wrong attitudes, motives and thoughts in general.
Then little by little He has revealed the following:
1. Thinking I have to be right (as in, I am right and someone else is wrong)
2. Thinking I have to have the last word
3. Thinking I always have to have something to say, probably to feel that what I say is as important as what someone else has said.
I know the Lord will reveal more as I am obedient in ridding myself of these destructive behaviors.
Oh, and the bowl of water to drown the spiders in the dream of course represents God’s Word.
Please pray for me Karen as I seek to be an Authentic Christian
Patsy, I believe that you have my email if you would like to email me. If you would like to talk, email me, and I will email you my number. God brings us just the right story, communication, person that we need as we seek Him. He is so good and loves it when we seek His thoughts, His ways, His face.
Father, Thank You for meeting Pasty where she is and speaking to her in a way that is special to her. She hungers and thirsts for You. Give her the ability to recognize Your presence in her life. Empower her Lord to walk in the freedom that You offer, so that one-by-one she deals with sin in her life.
Father, You have created great works for Pasty to accomplish. Show her what they are and lead her by the right hand in performing those works.
In You are heavenly treasures and everything that Pasty needs. Teach her how to pluck them from Your right hand and use them for Your pleasure.
Father, Thank You for Patsy and her desire to please You. Bless her, I pray, as she pursues an authentic walk with You. We love You, Lord. In Jesus’ Name Amen.
Studying His Word daily is what I do, as well what we all need to do. As you mentioned, He knows us better than we know ourselves so His Word alone brings us closer to Him. When we are walking with Him we have all we need. 😀
Saleama, Great strategy. Thank you for sharing how you ensure that you are walking an authentic Christian walk. The Word is Life and is beneficial to instruct us, correct us, and guide us. May the Holy Spirit lead you in all truth as you study the Word. Karen
Loved this! He gives us grace even when we feel unworthy. Loved how you mentioned “Does anyone post a photo on Facebook that shows our sinful nature?”.
Thank you for your gracious words. May you grow in the knowledge of Jesus living in you, and may that knowledge free you to walk in freedom. Karen