Walking the earth, Jesus proclaimed the arrival of the kingdom of heaven, taught practical living strategies, healed the blind, raised the dead, touched the lepers, fed the thousands, calmed the storm, cleansed the temple, gave power to heal to His disciples, ate with sinners, and washed dirt-covered feet. Now, it was time to pay the price for the sins of the world. A severe beating and death on the cross lay before Him.
Looking towards the cross, Jesus stopped to pray. His hour had come. A new level of service was before Him–the cross.
Seven Prayer Points
- Glory. “Father, the hour has come, glorify Your Son that the Son may glorify You.” John 17:1
- Intercession. “I pray for them.” John 17:9
- Protection. “Keep them from the evil one.” John 17:15
- Sanctification. “Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth.” He also prayed for His future believers. John 17:17-20
- Unity. “That they may all be one, just as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You, that they also may be in us” John 17:20-21
- Presence. “Father, I desire that they also, whom You have given Me, may be with Me where I am, to see My glory that You have given Me.” John 17:24
- Love. “Love with which You have loved Me may be in them, and I in them.” John 17:20-26
On His way to the shame and pain of the cross, Jesus stopped to acknowledge the glory of God, the glory He shed when He came to earth, and the work He accomplished on earth–a few short verses. The rest of His prayer was focused on His present and future followers. He prayed for you and me in the shadow of the cross!
Five Prayer Promises
Since the Creator of the universe, Jesus, prayed for His disciples, present and future, you and me, should we walk confidently in the service He has given for us to accomplish?
Jesus prayed in the perfect will of God; therefore, I can be assured that I have what He prayed for me. I might even call them prayer promises.
- Protection. “In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” John 16:33
- Sanctification. “So Jesus also suffered outside the gate in order to sanctify the people through his own blood. Therefore let us go to him outside the camp and bear the reproach he endure.” Hebrews 13:12
- Unity. To “equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, …” Ephesians 4:12-13
- Presence. “I am with you always, to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:19
- Love. “By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” John 13:35
Jesus is our High Priest sitting at the right hand of God always making intercession for us, praying for those who are called by His name, Hebrews 7:25-28.
Father, thank You for sending Jesus to earth to serve Your creation and to pay for our sins on the cross and then to be raised from the dead to sit at Your right hand to pray for His followers. Show me how to walk in the five prayer promises we see in the prayer of Jesus. These are His priorities for His followers, priorities that I need to focus on. Thank You for preserving this prayer. Cause me to abide in this prayer. Thank You, Jesus, for Your love. Amen.