Who is like You, O LORD among the gods?
Who is like You, majestic in holiness,
awesome in glorious deeds, doing wonders? Exodus 15:11
There is no one like our Father in heaven. God’s name represents all that He is and all that His children need, for He is our loving and gracious Father.
When I introduce myself, I say, “Hi, I’m Karen.” I may continue with, “I’m Kristin’s mother,” or “I am Keith’s wife,” or “I am an adjunct professor.” I usually don’t think of introducing myself in relationship to the other person I’m meeting.
However, when the Lord introduces Himself to us with “I am” in the following 12 verses, His name embodies His relationship to us.
What if we introduced ourselves with a description of how our relationship could be meaningful to the other person? Would that person value our names?
- I am the God of Abraham your father. Genesis 26:24
- I am the God of Bethel, where you anointed a pillar and made a vow to me. Genesis 31:13
- I am God (El), the God (Elohim) of your father … Genesis 46:3
- God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And he said, “Say this to the people of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.'” Exodus 3:14
- I will bring you into the land that I swore to give to Abraham, Isaac, and to Jacob. I will give it to you for a possession, I am the LORD … Exodus 6:8, with “I am the LORD” 182 additional times
- I am the LORD your Savior and your Redeemer, the Mighty One of Jacob. Isaiah 49:26
- Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst. John 6:35
- Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” John 8:12
- I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture. … I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. John 10:9, 11
- Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live. John 11:25
- Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. John 14:6
- “I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit.” John 15:1-2
O LORD, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!
You have set your glory above the heavens. Psalm 8:1
Hallowed be Your name! Matthew 6:9
Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name in our thoughts, in our words, in our actions, in our world. Father, even in the way that You introduce Yourself, You demonstrate that You value us. We know You by Your work, Your Word, Your revelation. You are holy and mighty. Your ways are not our ways and Your thoughts are not our thoughts. They are above the heavens, and, yet, You care about us. O LORD, our LORD, how majestic is Your name in all the earth! Thank You, Father. May Your name be hallowed in all the earth and in the heavens. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
Let’s start a conversation.
How will you think about introducing yourself to others?
Please share this post.